APEL Route to become a Low Carbon Energy Assessor (LCEA) to produce DEC’s
CIBSE Certification operates the APEL (Approval of Prior Experience & Learning) Route to certification. This is a fast, low cost route that recognises your prior experience and learning as an alternative to taking a specific Energy Assessor qualification and can provide certification to the highest quality via an application process.
Please complete the expression of interest form to gain access to the online APEL application form for the desired strand.
Complete the online Pre-APEL application form – which is a FREE assessment of your 2 years of full time experience in the last 5 years and counts towards your main APEL form. At this stage we advise you on your experience and what is available to you.
If you pass the initial screening of your Pre-APEL you will then need to complete the full Approval of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) form online submitting the following:
- Proof of Identity –Submit a copy of your passport or driving licence (if for any reason you cannot provide a copy of one of these documents please contact us for further information).
- Statement & CV – The statement and CV that you have already provided for your Pre-APEL should be submitted again with your main application. However, if you have been asked at the Pre-APEL stage to amend either of these at the main APEL stage, you should submit a new CV and you will be able to amend the statement. If you have chosen to bypass the Pre-APEL stage you will need to amend both your CV and statement at this stage and pay the assessment fee without your CV and statement being pre-screened.
- Insurance –Submit an up to date copy of your employer’s Professional Indemnity Insurance (PII) certificate (minimum £100,000.00). You also need to provide a copy of your employer’s Public Liability Insurance (PLI) certificate (minimum £1,000,000.00 for both levels 3 & 4).
- Membership –Submit a copy of your current professional membership’s certificates.
- Qualification – List your qualification(s) and submit a copy of your supporting certificates. The certificates must be and verified by the awarding body, senior manager or a client.
- Continual Professional Development (CPD) – Submit a CPD record for the past two calendar years. You must have a minimum of 21 hours of CPD activity per year and add at least 1 objective for each year, plus an additional objective for the year that you are applying in. You will be required to upload certificates for any structured CPD activity. More information on the CPD page here. The requirement for CPD is ongoing therefore you are required to complete your record even after achieving registration.
- NOS Requirement – You must be able to meet the NOS Performance Criteria and Knowledge and Understanding sections of the APEL. Download NOS for DEC. You may be exempt from completing NOS sections 1and 2.1 of the form if you are a full member of CIBSE or one of the other bodies listed in the following table. Download the Table of professional bodies and membership grades meeting the professional requirements of Units 1 and 2 of the NOS)
- Software samples – Submit 1 test (draft DEC) for assessment as part of your APEL application before you can be certified. The APEL form will identify which files are required to be submitted for assessment.
- Referee – Provide the name and contact details of your manager/director or senior client representative that has known you for at least 2 years and can verify your APEL application.
- Code of Conduct – You must read and submit a signed copy of the CIBSE Certification Code of Conduct.
- Declaration – You will need to read all the Scheme documentation on the Declaration page before submitting your signed APEL form.
- Assessment fee – Once you have submitted the APEL form you are required to pay a one-off assessment fee; you can do this by credit/debit card, cheque or BACS; details can be found on the Assessment Fee form included in the application pack.
Please download the LCEA and LCC Scheme Description Document (CCSDD 201) for full information on the Scheme requirements and conditions of Certification.
If you haven’t already done so you will need to book, complete and pass the CIBSE Low Carbon Consultant (LCC) Building Operation/DEC examination. CIBSE Training & Events offer a 2/3 day training course and exam or exam only. This training and exam prepares you to produce DECs using the free Government software known as ORCalc (download latest version here).
- One off assessment fee: £300 + VAT
- Annual registration fee: £315 + VAT
If you are already a CIBSE EPC Assessor or Air Conditioning Inspector the annual registration fee for DEC is discounted. Please contact Certification for more information on this discount on 020 8772 3649.
The DEC registration includes FREE entry on to the Low Carbon Consultants (LCC) Building Operation Register.