CIBSE Scotland Energy Assessor Scheme to produce non-domestic EPCs for both new & existing buildings.
Following the implementation of the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive re-cast in Scotland, CIBSE Certification is now offering application via the APEL route as a replacement for the Protocol agreement with The Building Standards Division of the Scottish Government (BSDSG).
There is now a mandatory requirement to lodge certificates centrally for non-domestic EPCs in Scotland, if you are already a certified energy assessor or looking to become a fully qualified CIBSE Scotland Energy Assessor please note the following changes to this scheme below.
Please complete the expression of interest form to gain access to the online APEL application form for your desired strand(s).
Complete the online Pre-APEL application form – which is a FREE assessment of your 2 years of full time experience in the last 5 years and counts towards your main APEL form. At this stage we advise you on your experience and what is available to you.
If you pass the initial screening of your Pre-APEL you will then need to complete the full Approval of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) form online submitting the following:
- Proof of Identity – Submit a copy of your passport or driving licence (if for any reason you cannot provide a copy of one of these documents please contact us for further information).
- Statement & CV – The statement and CV that you have already provided for your Pre-APEL should be submitted again with your main APEL application. However, if you have been asked at the Pre-APEL stage to amend either of these at the main APEL stage, you should submit a new CV and amend the statement. If you have skipped the Pre-APEL stage you will need to amend both your CV and statement at this stage and pay the assessment fee without your CV and statement being pre-screened.
- Insurance – Submit a copy of your company’s Professional Indemnity Insurance certificate (min £250,000.00 subject to level), and a copy of your company’s Public Liability Insurance certificate (min £1,000,000.00).
- Membership – Submit a copy of your current professional membership’s certificates.
- Qualification – List your qualifications and submit a copy of your supporting certificates. The certificates must be signed and verified by the awarding body, senior manager or a client. You must also provide an examination certificate to demonstrate your competence in the use of your chosen software (recognised training and examinations are available from a variety of software providers - click here.
- Continual Professional Development (CPD) – Submit a CPD record for the past two calendar years. You must have a minimum of 21 hours of CPD activity per year and add at least 2 objectives for each year, plus an additional objective for the year that you are applying in. You will be required to upload certificates for any structured CPD activity. More information on the CPD page here. The requirement for CPD is ongoing therefore you are required to complete your record even after achieving registration.
- NOS Requirement – You must be able to meet the NOS Performance Criteria and Knowledge and Understanding sections of the online APEL. Download NOS Units 1-7 for EPC; Download NOS Units 8 & 9 for EPC. You may be exempt from filling in some sections of the form if you are a full member of CIBSE or one of the other bodies listed in the following table. Download the Table of professional bodies and membership grades meeting the professional requirements of Units 1 and 2 of the NOS).
- Software samples – Provide 2 test draft EPCs.
One of these test certificates must be for a non-domestic new building and the other for a non-domestic existing building. They should be of a scale suitable for the strand for which you are applying, i.e., if you are seeking accreditation as an EPC level 5 Assessor, the test certificates should be provided for large complex buildings using your preferred DSM software.
If you are applying for EPC level 4 which incorporates EPC level 3, the test certificates should be for EPC level 4 type buildings, not just a small building with frequently occurring characteristics.
CIBSE Certification can provide 2 sample EPC’s that you can use for assessment, should you require these please contact one of the team on 0208 772 3649.
- Referee – Provide the name and contact details of your manager/director or senior client representative that has known you for 2 years or more and can verify your work and APEL application.
- Code of Conduct – You must read and accept the terms in the CIBSE Certification Code of Conduct.
- Declaration – You will need to read all the Scheme documentation on the Declaration page before submitting your APEL form.
- Assessment fee – Once you have submitted the APEL form you will be required to pay a one-off assessment fee; you can do this by credit/debit card over the phone or send a cheque.
Please download the LCEA and LCC Scheme Description Document (CCSDD 201) for full information on the Scheme requirements and conditions of Certification.
If you haven’t already done so, you will need to book, complete and pass the CIBSE Low Carbon Consultant (LCC) Design Management Scotland examination. Contact 020 8772 3660 for further information.
Relevant Software Training required
Please contact a relevant software provider of your choice
Complete and pass the training/assessment with your chosen software provider and submit your relevant software certificate with your APEL form.
- One off assessment fee: £300 + VAT
- Annual registration fee: £315 + VAT
IF you are already a CIBSE DEC Assessor or Air Conditioning Inspector the annual registration fee for EPC is discounted, please contact Certification for more information on this discount on 0208 772 3649 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The EPC registration includes FREE entry on the LCC Design Management Scotland and LCC Simulation registers.
*Please note that the Scotland Protocol agreement is no longer available as an application route to become a CIBSE Scotland Energy Assessor for non-domestic EPCs.
CURRENT FULLY QUALIFIED LCEAS FOR NON-DOMESTIC EPC IN ENGLAND AND WALES
There is an upgrade route in place that, if successfully completed, will allow you to produce EPCs in Scotland in addition to your England and Wales & Northern Ireland certification. To express your interest in this upgrade route please email CIBSE Certification at email@example.com
You will also need to successfully complete the new LCC Design Management Scotland examination in order to upgrade.
If you have any other questions please contact CIBSE Certification Ltd:
Telephone: 020 8772 3649